Today we hand over to professional wedding planner Charlotte Hill from Best day Ever Wedding Planning. She has valuable advice when it comes to visiting and choosing your venue. When that’s sorted the rest will fall into place!
Over to Charlotte:
So … you’re starting your wedding planning and you’re searching for that perfect venue, but where do you start? You’ll need a venue to hold your ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception but these do not have to be all in the same place. You may ponder the idea of looking at a venue to host all three elements or perhaps you’d like a church or registry office ceremony with a party afterwards.
Firstly, you may have a specific style of venue in mind from a barn to city loft or a hotel to a marquee. If you know what you’re after, great! But if you’re unsure then websites such as Hitched or Coco Wedding Venues are a great place to start. Beautifully presented venues at your fingertips – what’s not to love! Once you have a few favourites it’s time to schedule a viewing and go and take a look around.
I have listed 22 top questions to ask the venue coordinator to help with budgets and find out all the little details so there are no hidden surprises later on down the road.
1) What dates are available?
2) Any number limitations?
– For the ceremony is that seated capacity or standing?
– For your wedding breakfast, how many guests can the tables hold comfortably?
3) Cost for the day
4) What does the fee include – room rental, catering, linen etc.
5) What is excluded from the cost?
6) Can we have an extended licence so we can continue the party?
7) Is there adequate parking for guests?
8) Can we use our own suppliers or do we have to use suppliers from your recommended supplier list?
9) Can you set up and or tear down items we provide?
10) Where in the venue is licensed to hold our ceremony?
11) Does the venue have a rainy day back up plan?
12) When can we begin setting up?
13) Any restrictions, such as candles, hanging ceiling installations etc.?
14) Any photography or videography restrictions throughout the day?
15) Are there any noise restrictions?
16) How much is the deposit?
17) When is the balance due?
18) Can we invite children?
19) Can we see what chairs are to be provided and any other items that you can provide?
20) Do you have a cancellation policy?
21) What will you help with throughout our planning?
22) Should we hire an independent wedding planner to help with all the other aspects of our day or can you assist with everything and help us with our wedding planning?
Before you decide on a venue, be sure to see everything and ask as many questions as possible to gain an understanding of what’s included and what’s expected from you as well as from them. Once you’ve decided on a ceremony venue, be sure to call your local wedding office before anything gets booked and see if a registrar is free on your chosen date to conduct your ceremony. This can be done within 12 months of your wedding date. Some districts may differ.
So… you’ve booked your venue, what’s next? All the planning can start taking place and your venue has now set the tone for the rest of the planning; flowers, invitations and even your dress can all be styled around your venue. Now you have a venue, you have a date and everything will start to fall into place.
Pro Tip: A great tip to remember is, if your venue is offering a deal that includes catering up to a certain number then please remember to ask about children. Most of the time they are not included in this number and are priced as extra and normally at half the cost of an adult.
Now that your day is on the horizon, you will be feeling excited as well as perhaps a bit overwhelmed… don’t worry, why not follow my eight simple steps in wedding planning to help keep everything under control and make wedding planning fun!