Vicky, of Violet Paper Studio, designs bespoke wedding stationery. Although themes and styles can overlap, no two designs are ever the same. Today Vicky takes the time to offer us a little insight into her creative process…
- Chit Chat – Getting to know you is one of the most important parts of the whole process. Whether this be over a coffee in or near Brighton, or over the phone, this is where I get to hear about all the details of your day and establish the project aims. I love to hear about everything, from the colour scheme, flowers, decorations to the type of food you will be serving. This helps create a mood board in my mind and ideas start forming.
- The Brainstorm – The idea generation is possibly my favourite part of the whole process. I sit down with my mental mood board and get it all down on paper. This can be in the form of sketches, paintings, cuttings of paper, fabric swatches and anything that relates to your big day. I then transfer my thoughts onto computer and begin forming your invitations. I love playing around with fonts, layouts, and spacing, all whilst keeping your brief and preferences in mind.
- Refinement – Upon feedback/approval from you, I finalise the design and prepare it for print. I often need to scan in any drawings and paintings at a high resolution and convert them to CMYK, or a Pantone spot colour, depending on the project. Many hours are spent in Photoshop fine tuning images and tidying them up.
- Printing & Assembly – When your invitations come back from the printer looking all beautiful, I start to assemble them – this typically involves adding items such as wax seals, hand addressed envelopes, wax threads, belly bands… the list is endless and can usually involve lots of late nights!
- Delivery – hooray! Your favourite part of the whole process I imagine. I wrap your invitations and post them to you ready to be sent to your guests. I also offer a service whereby I post out your invitations to save you time. It’s surprising how long licking stamps and sealing envelopes can take!
Idea Driven Bespoke Wedding Stationery
By Vicky Perry-Reed